Monday, November 24, 2008

He looks like our Pete!

OK, well, the surgeon came into the waiting room at like 3:15 to tell us that the surgery was done and it went great. So, given past experience, it was going to be about 90 minutes to 2 hours before they called me into recovery to see him. When it was 5:30, I saw one of the hospital "guest relations" people and asked her to run it down for me. She looked at the computer and says, "this shows him still in the OR". She asked if I was sure the doctor came in to say the surgery was over or he was just about to go in. I told her I was and she called the surgery secretary who confirms that the surgeon finished his work around 3:00 and that the resident was closing him up, for over 2 hours. It does make sense to some degree. Put your hands in your hair and see how little give your scalp has, so you gotta know it takes some doing to stretch it far enough to be able to staple it, particularly when you are trying to make sure you don't harm him.

Anyway, I was finally able to see him around 6:45. He was coming out of the anesthesia and was nauseated and had a headache but I looked at him straight on and he looked so good, his head is all back to normal. Well, if normal means having probably 150 staples in it (obviously there's a dressing over the incision) and there is of course some swelling under the scalp, but otherwise, it's the very handsome shape he's been for all this time.

They put him into the NICU, but not the one he's been in before, that unit is full. There is a 6 bed overflow unit on the 3rd floor and that's where he is. The nurse that I wanted to bitch slap was there to take care of him. She didn't remember our history, but she remembered me. I have to say that she is an excellent nurse, but a wee bit too married to the rules.

I came home and gave Anna kisses and put her to bed, she's sleeping like an angel.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Awesome, I will send my emails to update all of the people that ask about him. Hope to see you guys soon. Here is some food for thought;
Forget the things that happened in the past.. do not keep on thinking about them. I am about to do something new. It is beginning to happen even now. Don't you see it coming? I am going to make a way for you to go through the desert. I will make streams of water in the dry and empty land.
Isaiah 43: 18-19

Rozzie said...

YEY! I'm glad Pete is all put back together in time for you to celebrate Thanksgiving as a family. I know you're in the hospital, bring Pete some of that good cooking he's used to!