Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It's been brought to my attention

that I've not updated anything for almost a week. Sooooo, let's see what's the update.

Pete has continued to make progress little by little every day. He feels more steady standing and walking although it will be a while before he's doing either under entirely his own steam. He is finding the chair extremely uncomfortable so he fidgets around a good bit trying to find a good position. Of course, the only good position will be standing up and walking around, so he's continuing to work in that direction. The left arm is still stubbornly doing nothing. Hopefully, that will come with time.

He is enjoying the regular diet a great deal. They are still pushing the protein on him, because as we all know, protein is the stuff of which muscle is made, that and hard work. So he has these little protein packs on his trays that he's supposed to sprinkle on his meals and eat. If he has milk, it works better. He had his 7-Up last Friday and enjoyed the heck out of it.

Today, we took the yellow arm band out for a spin. We went outside, and enjoyed the fairly decent weather. It would figure today would be the first day this week that was not a chamber of commerce day. Tomorrow is supposed to be cool and clear, to give us something back for this nasty thunderstorms this evening.

Speaking of tomorrow, Pete and his group are going to the Galleria tomorrow on an outing. This will be a ride on the TIRR bus and a shopping spree. I will miss seeing him during the day tomorrow but will head up tomorrow after work. One of the girls in his group is in high school, she had a spine injury. It's been a tough road for her understanding that things won't ever be the same for her and accepting that the new way things will be just as great.

They have Pete very busy during the day, between therapies and groups, he's busy for 6 hours every day. Needless to say, by the time dinner is done, he is ready for bed.

This weekend, I guess Sunday, I'm going to make pot roast and take it up there with Anna so we can have dinner as a family. I mentioned it to Pete and he agreed that was a great idea. Could be fun getting all that stuff up to the 6th floor, but it will be interesting.

6 comments:

Wheels and Lollipops said...

good news all around !!! I think Sunday dinner would be good for the three of you

Marie said...

Kristy -

Thanks for the update - but I really think it's a good sign that you haven't updated in a week. You seem to be finding a new normal, like you said, and I think accepting that is half of the battle. I'm so glad you could have Sunday dinner and that you are taking advantage of your yellow bands - YAY!

Diana from Dallas said...

the family dinner brought tears to my eyes.

did I ever tell you that when I was a toddler my aunt lived with us as she was in an awful car accidnet? she was bed ridden for six months. I was known for at least once a week while she was eating dumping a glass of cold water on her.
I don't know why I told that story.

and, yes, she still speaks to me.

Kerry said...

The Galleria - I know how much Pete loves to shop! It will be good to get out no matter the destination! So glad he got to enjoy the 7-up.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for Pete and your family dinner on Sunday!

Kitty said...

Yay for progress! Prayers for the arm and for the girl with the SCI. I'll bet he'll enjoy the family dinner :)