Sunday, October 12, 2008

34 Days and counting down

November 15 is gonna be here before we know it, but still it seems like forever from now.

Putting first things first, Pete's dad's funeral yesterday was beautiful. There was an honor guard with a 21 gun salute and Taps and military honors. People who knew him best spoke of him and the chaplain from the funeral home spoke about those things that exemplified his life. His grave site is in a wonderful place, toward the back of the cemetery where he will have shade from the forests close by and there will be wildlife enjoying the area around him. Though there is a sign suggesting nothing may be planted, I fully expect some of that wildlife might just plant a volunteer come Spring.

This afternoon, after listening to the Texans finally win a game this season, Anna and I went to visit. Pete is feeling low about his progress. I told him that he should not be feeling that way at all, that we have to keep our eyes on the prize and that he is making huge progress. On Friday, I was in physical therapy and saw for myself the progress. He is requiring balance assistance to stand, but it is mostly his own strength. He is retraining all of those muscles in his arms, legs and trunk to do things that he's just taken for granted all these years. Anna was a good girl today and we were able to stay for a few hours before I thought I was going to want to gouge my eyes out. She fell asleep in the car on the way home talking about laying in daddy's bed playing. Today, she pushed him in his wheelchair around the floor and everyone commented how strong and cute she is.

So tomorrow it will be 33 days. Yowzers.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

And the days go faster! Keep you guys in my prayers! I'm sorry to hear about his dad. (((hugs)))