Sunday, August 31, 2008

A little something about Friday

So I skipped Friday and said I would update--if you haven't read the post about Saturday (red letter day), be sure to go check that out, because it was a good one.

Friday morning I walked into Pete's area and his eye was all back to normal. He looked so much better I couldn't believe it. In the afternoon, he got a little more puffiness, but it was not anything like on Thursday. The nurse said that the cooling mattress really did its job and had Pete a little shivery, so she gave him some Demerol. I guess I never considered Demerol over a blanket, but I guess I'm weird that way. The tube feedings, coupled with no exercise and the general shock to the system that a stroke entails, have meant his sugars have been pretty high (well, we all know he's sweet enough, right?) and they are giving him insulin. Once he can get some activity, he'll do better.

On Friday, he was finally pronounced, "stable" and they started weaning his use of the ventilator. He stayed on the lower dose of the Propofol so he was alert for a longer time at a time during the day. Eyes open and making some eye contact with me and that's a good thing.


Diana from Dallas said...

Um, many wives think a stable husband is an impossibility (sorry a little humor)
I love all the good news.

Bethany Nicks and Family said...

Leave it to Diana to make a joke, too funny!!
I am loving this good news, it is such a blessing and a total answer to MANY prayers that have been offered. Thanks for being so good to update!

Jenni said...

Praise God! I am so unbelievably happy that y'all went to the Methodist hospital. I can't believe the first hospital was ready to give up hope. God is so so good! Y'all will still be in my prayers :)

Linda said...

Yay for stable! LOL at Diana!

Navasha said...

Diana has a good point. ;)

YAYAY for more good news!

Kristy Beins said...

Maybe I should have been clear, "medically stable" because "stable" is not exactly a moniker I'd put on Pete.