Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What do you know--2 posts in a week

I'm sure y'all all know I will only post when I have a meaningful update, so knowing there's a new post should be viewed as positive.

Pete had his appointment this morning for the ultrasound of his lower legs and feet. As I mentioned on Saturday, he's had some swelling in his lower left leg and foot. This has been accompanied by skin that is cold to the touch (not regular cold, but cold). The neurologist wanted to make sure he didn't have any DVT, and sent him in for ultrasound this morning.

We got there early, which I'm always excited about and filled out paperwork. There were some odd questions on the paperwork (like what color do you prefer red, blue or black) and a few minutes after I turned it in, some guy comes out with a tote bag (blue) with a little portfolio thing, a banana and a soft drink inside. We're spent how many weeks and half a million in services there and this is our first giv-y.

Anyway, we're sitting there and I'm mulling my good fortune when this huge guy walks up to me and asks if I remember him. I did not, but he reminded me that he was part of Pete's pit crew when he first arrived at Methodist. He had seen Pete's name on the list of patients for the day and it was familiar so he reviewed his chart. He called Dr. Volpi and asked if he wanted a repeat of any of the brain ultrasonography and if I had a little longer to stay at the hospital they could recheck his carotid arteries and some other things. Yup, we can stay as long as you need him! It didn't occur to me until later that the insurance deductible turns over on Thursday, so whatever tests need to be done under the old one would be great!

The extra tests added about an hour to his time there and it was certainly an hour well spent. Dr. G (not the M.E. the pit crew dude whose name I don't recall) came out and told me that the right frontal carotid is still completely blocked, and the left one is still completely clear. He said the ultrasound on the other arteries revealed the large one on top that had been blocked IS now cleared so he has additional blood flow to the part of the brain damaged by the stroke. This might account for some of the increased function in his left leg that was sort of sudden, but I do not know for sure. Any medical people reading this could certainly help me with that. Dr. G definitely found it to be something extremely positive.

The nurse told Pete that the scan on his legs looked just fine too and that he would be faxing reports over to Dr. Volpi. I'll call his office Friday to confirm. Any changes will be reported as appropriate.

Seeing a member of the original medical team that admitted Pete brought back a whole bunch of emotions for me. I'm sure those will come and go as time goes on, but positive thoughts in that regard would be appreciated.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You are always in my thoughts honey :) I know the emotions are still crazy, hang in there! I hope to continue to read good news!! It's so refreshing to see that a very dark situation can still have it's sun beams in it :)

Theresa said...

Always praying for your whole family. Glad to read good news over and over again. Have a very blessed new year.

Kitty said...

That is mostly really great news! And always nice to get a freebie :) I'm glad you got the extra tests, and with good timing!

Navasha said...

Woo Hoo for good news and tests done under last years deductible.